Whole Wheat Sponge Cake
- 8 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon or almond extract
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Separate eggs while cold but allow to come to room temperature.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Add cold water and beat for 2 minutes more. Slowly blend in the sugar.
- Sift cornstarch, whole wheat flour and salt several times. Add to egg yolk mixture and beat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add vanilla and lemon/almond extracts.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until very stiff.
- Fold egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture and mix evenly.
- Fill un-greased angel food tube pan three-fourths full of batter.
- Bake remaining batter in ungreased loaf pans.
- Place on low rack of oven.
- Bake tube pan for 1 to 1 1/4 hours and loaf pan for 45 minutes or until any cracks in top feel dry and no imprint remains when top is lightly touched. Invert pan on funnel or long necked bottle; let hang until cake is completely cool.
- Loosen cake by moving spatula up and down against side of pan. Turn pan over and remove cake.
- This cake has a different flavor than regular sponge cake; serve with fruit.
Yield: 16 servings
Nutrition: One slice provides approximately: 135 calories, 3 g protein, 27 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 2 g fat (1 g saturated), 71 mg cholesterol, 13 mcg folate, 1 g iron, 70 mg sodium
Submitted by Kansas Wheat Commission.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Wheat Foods Council
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.