Black Forest Cake
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached white flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 thin lemon or orange slices
- 1/3 cup Kirsch
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 10 ounces firm tofu
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 1 (16 ounce) jar pitted cherries, drained
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
- Combine liquid ingredients in a large bowl and whisk well.
- Sift dry ingredients together and whisk into liquid mixture. Pour into prepared
pan, and bake for 35 minutes or until springy.
- Cool cake completely and remove from pan. With a serrated knife, cut cake horizontally
to make 3 thin layers.
- Syrup: Combine first 3 ingredients in a small pot and boil for 3 minutes. Let
cool and then add kirsch.
- Icing: In a blender, combine cashews, water and vanilla extract. Blend until
smooth and creamy. Add honey and tofu and blend again. Set aside 2 cups for the
vanilla icing to go on top and sides of cake. To the rest of the mixture, add melted
chocolate and 3 tablespoons of syrup. Blend until smooth. Chill both icings before
- To Assemble: Carefully remove the top two layers of cake. Brush some syrup onto
bottom layer and spread half of chocolate icing over it. Place the middle cake layer
on top and brush with syrup and icing. Put down a layer of cherries and dot with
a little vanilla icing to help the top layer stick.
- Place the top layer on the cherries and brush again with syrup. Frost top and
sides with vanilla icing. Decorate with cherries and pipe rosettes if desired.
- Chill for several hours before serving.
The cake can be kept covered if not being
served until the following day. However, the frosting may discolor after about 3