Beans & Barley's Fresh Blueberry Pie
Beans and Barley Deli, Market, Café is located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. A Milwaukee newspaper reader wrote, "Beans and Barley's creation (blueberry pie) is the best blueberry pie in town during blueberry season.” Can the Journal Sentinel get the recipe…?” Lynn Sbonik, co-owner of Beans and Barley, generously supplied the recipe. I can attest that it is excellent! It is beyond delicious made with a combination of blueberries (4 cups) and black raspberries (2 cups).
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 6 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 pints fresh blueberries (about 6 cups) rinsed, drained and picked over (divided)*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon margarine
* (I used 4 cups fresh blueberries and 2 cups fresh blackberries.) LuAnn's change
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make crust
- In bowl, combine flours and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cut shortening into mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add 4 tablespoons cold water while stirring with a fork, and mix lightly to form a ball. Let dough rest at least 5 minutes at room temperature, then roll out to fit a 9-inch pan. Slip it into pan, trimming as needed and crimping edges. Weight crust with dry beans, rice or pie weights.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until light brown. Remove from oven, take out the pie weights and cool.
To make filling
- Mix cornstarch thoroughly with 1/4 cup cold water. Add boiling water, stirring until smooth. Place in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup of the berries, stirring constantly and crushing berries against sides of pan as liquid comes to a low boil, thickens and clears, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and margarine and mix gently. Remove mixture from heat, add remaining berries, mix gently. Pour into prepared shell.
- Refrigerate pie for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.