Curried Okra with Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 (pint) container grape tomatoes, halved crosswise
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen sliced okra
- 3/4 cup vegetarian chicken-style broth
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves
- Salt, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, preheat the olive oil to medium-high. Sauté the onion in hot oil until transparent. Add the garlic, curry powder and coriander; continue to sauté for another minute or two.
- Stir in the canned and fresh tomatoes; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook gently until the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the okra and chicken-style broth; return to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook gently for about 10 to 15 minutes, or just until the okra is tender.
- Just before serving, stir in the cilantro. Add salt to taste.
- Serve promptly for best color and freshest taste.
Serves 4 to 8.
Loosely adapted by LuAnn B. from Recipezaar (now food.com).