Lima Bean Health Loaf
1 cup dry lima beans
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/3 cup flour
1 cup skim milk
1 egg, beaten
1 cup soft, fine whole wheat bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain, rinse and cook in water to cover
until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain beans, then mash.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add onion and sauté about 3 minutes.
- Add celery. Cover and cook until tender.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add milk, stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in beaten egg. Add crumbs, carrots, salt, pepper
- Spoon mixture into a greased 8 x 4-inch loaf pan and bake at 375 degrees
F for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Arrange cheese slices over loaf and bake until cheese melts.