Classic Meat Loaf
This is meat loaf like your mother used to make! The topping is yummy.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Measure 1/4 cup tomato sauce; combine with topping ingredients. Set aside.
- Combine remaining tomato sauce with remaining meatloaf ingredients in large bowl,
mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape beef mixture into 8 x 4-1/2-inch loaf on rack
in broiler pan. Spread topping over meatloaf.
- Bake for 1 hour, until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers
160 degrees F.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Cut into slices.
Total Recipe: 1 1/4 hours | Makes 6 servings.
Four-Pepper Meatloaf: Prepare meatloaf as above, adding 1/3
cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon
ground white pepper to Ground Beef mixture.
Picadillo-Style Meatloaf: Prepare meatloaf as above, omitting
thyme and adding 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1/4 cup raisins, 1 teaspoon
ground cumin and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed, to Ground Beef mixture.
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a
reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Cattlemen's Beef Board
>> MEAT LOAF RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.