4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Rind of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 to 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar
1 (7 ounce) jar JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme
1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour muffin tins or dome shaped baking
molds and set aside.
- Cakes: Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff but not dry and place in the
refrigerator while you make the rest of the batter. Cream the butter and add the
sugar. Continue mixing to blend well. Add the vanilla extract, almond extract and
lemon rind and mix well.
- Sift the flour 3 times with the baking powder then add it to the butter mixture
alternately with the milk in 3 additions. Fold in the whites and pour the batter
into the molds, filling about 3/4 of the way up. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until
batter is firm to the touch in the center. Let cool in the pans then turn out so
the top becomes the bottom (you may need to trim them a bit so they sit flat).
- Frosting: Beat sugar, Marshmallow Creme, margarine or butter and vanilla extract
with electric mixer at medium speed, beating in milk as needed to desired frosting
- Place the coconut in a bowl and add 1 drop of red or green food coloring for
a pale color. Toss until food coloring is well mixed in and the coconut is the desired
color. Frost the top and sides of the cakes and dip/roll in coconut to make them
look like snowballs.
Yield: 4 servings
Posted by Cookin'Mom at Recipe Goldmine 2/272001 2:45 pm.