Newman's Own Paul's Picture
Show Popcorn Crunch
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup cashews or walnuts
- 1 bag Newman's Own Oldstyle Picture Show Microwave Popcorn (about 10 cups) or your favorite
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees F. Coat a large heatproof mixing bowl (16 cups or
larger) and a 15 x 10-inch baking pan with margarine or nonstick cooking spray.
- In another 15 x 10-inch baking pan, combine the almonds, pecans, and cashews
and toast for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the oven and
cool the nuts to room temperature.
- Pop the popcorn following the package directions. Pour the popcorn into the prepared
bowl. Add the nuts and mix well.
- Melt the margarine and butter in a heavy 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add
the sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup of water. Mix well and stir often. Continue to
cool over medium-high heat until it reaches 275 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
Remove the pan from the heat and slowly stir in the vanilla extract. (Stir carefully
because the vanilla extract will spatter when added to the hot syrup.)
- Pour the hot syrup over the popcorn-nut mixture and mix until evenly coated.
Immediately pour the popcorn into the prepared baking pan. Let cool for one hour.
Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 12/19/2001 11:53 am