Pork and Sauerkraut
Pork and Sauerkraut is traditionally served as the first meal on New Year's Day to bring good luck for the year.
To cook in a slow cooker, add everything at once and cook for about 6 or 7 hours on LOW.
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) lean pork roast
- 2 large cans or a fresh pack of sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Place the pork roast in a Dutch oven or a large, deep, heavy skillet.
- Add about 1 cup water plus a small amount of salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat for about 2 hours.
- Add the sauerkraut, applesauce and brown sugar. Cover and simmer for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer or until the roast is tender and falling apart.
- Serve Pork and Sauerkraut with a large bowl of mashed potatoes.
- This can also be roasted in the oven in a covered roasting pan. Set the oven at 350 degrees F for about 2 hours, then lower temperature to around 300 degrees F after adding the sauerkraut. Roast for an additional 1 1/2 hours.