Baked French Toast with Nutella
Make-ahead trick: Fill the French toast and make up the custard in advance. In
the morning, about 40 minutes before eating, dip toast in custard and bake it while
the coffee brews and you set the table.
- 4 ounces cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese, at room
- 6 tablespoons Nutella, at room temperature
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Maple syrup (optional)
- To make sandwich: Mix cream cheese and Nutella until combined. Spoon mixture
on 4 bread slices and spread all the way to outside edges, then top with remaining
slices to make sandwiches. Place in resealable plastic bag and refrigerate until
ready to bake.
- To make custard: In flat container with an airtight lid large enough to hold a
bread slice, beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract and nutmeg. Cover
and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mist a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with sides
with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dip sandwiches into custard, turning once, for 2 minutes on the first
side and 1 on the second to soak up as much of the custard as possible. Lay
drained slices on pan and bake for 15 minutes, then turn them over and bake
for 20 minutes more, or until toast is golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle
lightly with sifted confectioners' sugar and serve with syrup, if desired.
Makes 4 to 8 servings.
Recipe can easily be doubled.