Nutella-Filled Chocolate Rugelach
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for the work surface
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1 tablespoon pieces
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- About 1/2 cup Nutella
- About 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
- In a food processor on low speed, combine the flour, sugar, salt and cocoa. Add the butter, cream cheese and vanilla and pulse to combine. Increase the speed to medium and process until a soft dough forms.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough briefly, about 3 minutes. Divide the dough into 3 equal portions, patting each portion into a disk. Transfer each portion to a resealable plastic bag and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Form and fill the rugelach.
- Adjust the oven rack to the lowest position. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the chilled rugelach for 20 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Yield: 36 to 48 rugelach
Per serving (dough only, based on 36): 111 calories, 1 gm protein, 9 gm carbohydrates, 8 gm fat, 22 mg cholesterol, 5 gm saturated fat, 68 mg sodium, trace dietary fiber
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 200 calories, 3 gm protein, 10 gm carbohydrates, 10 gm fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 gm saturated fat, 20 mg sodium, 2 gm dietary fiber