Indian Popped Corn
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pure ground chile
- Use a heavy cast iron skillet with a lid. Fill the skillet with a single layer
of kernels, and heat the oil before you add the corn.
- Use the smaller amount of
ingredients for a 9-inch skillet, and use the larger amount of ingredients for a
- Heat oil in skillet over high heat until a test kernel pops.
- Shake in the kernels,
cover with a lid, and when you hear the kernels begin to pop, turn down heat and
shake pan gently back and forth to keep the kernels moving. When popping sounds
cease, the corn is done.
- Pour corn into a large bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Melt butter with the chile
and pour over the corn.
- Mix with your hands.
Makes 2 to 4 cups, depending on size of skillet used.