Coq au Vin
(Chicken with Red Wine and Mushrooms)
- 1 (3 pound) chicken, cut up (or parts of choice)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 (16 ounce) can white onions, drained
- 1/4 cup brandy
- Coat chicken, onion and carrot in mixture of flour, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Fry bacon in a 4- or 6-quart pressure cooker until crisp; remove, crumble and set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms in bacon drippings; remove and set aside.
- Brown chicken a few pieces at a time; set aside.
- Brown onions and carrots, then return all chicken to the pot.
- Combine wine, garlic, parsley, basil and bay leaf; pour over chicken. Close pressure cooker securely. Place regulator on vent; cook for 8 minutes at 15 pounds pressure, with the regulator rocking slowly. Cool pressure cooker at once.
- Remove chicken and veggies to a warm serving dish.
- Add reserved mushrooms and the canned white onions to the liquid and simmer until heated through. Thicken if necessary (cornstarch slurry works fine). Add bacon and brandy; heat. Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables.
Source: Presto website, 1998
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.