Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken and Flat Dumplings
- 1 large (5 pound) washed chicken
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 stalks celery, cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Place chicken in a 6- to 8-quart stockpot. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Simmer until chicken is done, about 2 hours.
- When cool, remove bones and fat from chicken. Cut into pieces, and return to pot.
- Noodles: In a bowl, mix together 2 cups flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Make a well in the center, and gradually work 4 eggs into the flour until stiff dough is formed, adding water a little at a time if necessary. Knead until smooth. Divide dough in half. Roll each half as thin as possible then cut into thin 1-2 inch squares.
- Bring the broth back to rolling boil. Drop noodle squares one at a time, making sure each are drenched in broth. Reduce heat, cover and continue to cook until noodles are done, about 8 minutes. DON'T PEEK!
- Serve in large bowl and ladle onto plates at the table. Serve with chopped onion.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.