- 1 pound or 2 1/2 cups crawfish tails
- 1 1/8 cups uncooked rice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup fine chopped onion
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup green onion tops
- 1/4 cup crawfish fat (optional)
- Brown flour in oil to a golden brown, but DO NOT burn.
- Add onions. Stir constantly until onions are almost cooked.
- Add 1 1/2 cups cold water and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add crawfish tails and fat; cook until crawfish turns pink.
- Add about 2 cups water and bring to boil. When water is rapidly boiling, add
remainder of ingredients. Stir to blend and cook on low heat, covered, for about 1/2 hour or until rice is tender.
- Five minutes before serving, using a 2-prong fork, fluff up jambalaya so rice
will have a tendency to fall apart.
Yield: 4 or 5 servings