Creole Lemon Cake
This cake can be wrapped in a brandy-soaked cloth and stored in covered container for 1 to 2 weeks.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 1/2 cups California golden or natural raisins
- In large mixer bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Gradually add eggs; beat well.
- Stir in lemon juice and peel.
- Combine remaining ingredients; gradually stir into egg mixture until blended.
- Spoon batter into greased and floured 10-inch tube pan; let stand 10 minutes.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour 45 minutes, or until browned and a wooden pick
inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool on rack for 15 minutes; remove from pan to cool completely.
- Wrap; let stand a day before slicing.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Yield: one 10 inch cake