Loaded Cajun Cornbread
Loaded Cajun Cornbread will go fast whenever you serve it. Best double the recipe and make two pans while you're at it!
- 2 cups smoked sausage, diced
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream style corn
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 10 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 jalapenos, diced
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In a medium size pan, sauté sausage over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until browned. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, Cajun seasoning and baking soda. Using a fork, mix well. Add milk, vegetable oil, corn and eggs; mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients, making sure it’s evenly mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 55 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before serving.