Louisiana Dirty Rice
Vegetarian Dirty Rice: Follow directions for Louisiana Dirty Rice, using 1/2 cup peanuts in place of the giblets and pork sausage, and sauté until golden (about 2 minutes). Replace white rice with 3 cups cold cooked brown rice.
- 1 pound giblets (wild fowl, chicken, or turkey), chopped fine
- 2 cups raw white rice
- 1/2 pound loose pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup scallion tops
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the giblets in a saucepan of salted water to cover until very tender.
- Drain, reserving the liquid, and set the giblets aside.
- Return the liquid to the saucepan, adding more water if necessary to make 4 cups.
- Add the rice, bring to a boil, and cook, covered, over low heat for 20 minutes or until tender.
Set aside and keep warm.
- In a deep heavy skillet start the pork sausage on low heat; as soon as the fat
begins to cook out, add the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Continue cooking on low heat, stirring occasionally, until all the
vegetables are soft.
- Add the cooked rice, giblets, parsley, scallion tops, salt and pepper and stir all together lightly but thoroughly. If possible, add some drippings from the fowl or meat which you are serving. Do not let parsley and scallion tops become scorched.