New Year's Pork Jambalaya
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 pound lean pork chunks, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Tony's Creole seasoning
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced pimiento
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion tops
- In a heavy 4-quart pot, brown sausage and pork, seasoned with Creole seasoning,
in hot oil.
- Add onion, bell pepper and celery. Cover and cook on medium heat 30 minutes or
until pork is almost done.
- Skim off excess oil. Add water, broth, butter, salt, black and red pepper
and pimiento. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add rice, stir and add black-eyed peas. Cover and cook 30 minutes or until rice
- Add parsley and onion tops the last 5 minutes.
Lafayette Centennial Cookbook - 1884-1994