Native American Tortillas in a Bag
A popular wheat food that kids love to make and eat!
Variations: Use 1/2 cup corn meal and 1 cup all-purpose flour, or use /4 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour.
Quick Meal Idea: Lightly brush cooked tortillas with oil. Bake tortillas on baking sheets in oven for 4 minutes. Top with browned ground beef or pork, black beans, onion, chopped tomato, shredded mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Season with dried oregano leaves; return to the oven and heat 10 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup hot water
- In a large self-locking plastic bag, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Close bag and shake to mix.
- Add shortening and work into flour until fine particles form.
- Add the hot water and knead the dough in the bag until it forms a ball.
- Remove dough from bag and place on a lightly floured work surface; knead 15 strokes.
- Divide into six equal pieces; shape into balls. Cover; let rest 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece as thin as possible. Roll from the center out, turning several times to form an 8-inch circle.
- Heat an ungreased griddle or skillet over medium heat. Cook until the surface begin bubble and the under side is speckled golden-brown, about 15 to 20 seconds. Cook other side.
- Stack tortillas under a cloth as they are done and serve warm.
Yield: 6 tortillas
Calories/Serving: 150 calories/tortilla
Nutrition: One enriched flour tortilla provides approximately: 150 calories, 3 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 5 g fat (2 g saturated), 2 mg cholesterol, 40 mcg folate, 1 mg iron and 286 mg sodium
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Wheat Foods Council