Cheddar Potato Cakes
- 3 large Russet potatoes (about 12 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter, cut into pieces*
- 6 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Sharp Cheddar,grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil
* or substitute olive oil for butter
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scrub potatoes and prick with fork in several places. Place on baking sheet and bake until tender, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- When cool enough to handle, remove skins and place potatoes in large bowl, add butter and mash with potato masher. Mix in cheese and chives and season mixture with salt and pepper.
- Shape mixture into six (1/2-inch-thick) cakes. Place on plate, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Brush large skillet generously with oil and place over medium-low heat or preheat electric griddle to 325 degrees F. Cook cakes for several minutes until golden on underside; slide metal spatula carefully under each cake to release, then turn over and cook until browned on second side.
- Turn off heat and let cakes stand for a couple of minutes to firm up slightly.
- Serve with sausage and eggs.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: