Double Decker Vegetable Mold
- 2 3/4 cups boiling water and juice from pineapple
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small box orange gelatin
- 1 small box lime or lemon gelatin
- 1 tablespoon grated onion, divided
- 3 tablespoons white or white wine vinegar, divided
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained, divided
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery, divided
- 1 1/2 cups grated or shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- Stir cornstarch mixture and salt into boiling water/juice. Cook until thick and
simmer about 5 minutes.
- Divide into 2 saucepans.
- Dissolve orange gelatin in 1 portion and lime gelatin in the remaining part. Cool.
- Stir 1/2 tablespoon onion, 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/2 can pineapple and 1/3
cup celery into each mixture. Chill until partially set.
- Fold carrots into orange
gelatin and pour into a 5- or 6-cup buttered ring mold. Chill until set, but not
- Fold cabbage into lime gelatin and pour over carrot mixture. Chill until firm
and unmold on salad greens.
- Fill center with salad.
This mold does not soften easily.
Variation: Substitute finely chopped red cabbage with lemon gelatin.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.