Barley, Sausage and Vegetable Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound small white button mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried leaf oregano, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried leaf basil, crushed
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup Pinot Noir wine or chicken broth
- 1 pound fat-reduced Kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- In a large pot with a lid, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add half of mushrooms (about 1/4 pound), onion and garlic. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add oregano and basil; sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, barley and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook 25 minutes.
- Mix in carrots, wine or broth and remaining 1/4 pound mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Ladle stew into bowls, and serve.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutritional information per serving: 249 calories, 17 grams protein, 28 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams fiber, 7 grams fat, 642 milligrams sodium
Source: National Barley Foods Council