Breakfast Enchiladas with Salsa Verde
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 ounces queso fresco or cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 2 cooked and diced red-skinned potatoes or 1/2 cup cooked crumbled sausage (optional)
- 8 flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Salsa Verde: Soak tomatillos in warm water for a few minutes just
to loosen the dry husks. Rinse well under running water, removing the husks.
- Place a few tomatillos at a time on a stovetop grill set over medium heat. Char
on both sides until tomatillos are flecked with black but not softened. Use tongs
to turn them. Alternatively, char under a medium broiler, but be careful not to
cook them too much.
- Place charred tomatillos into the bowl of a food processor.
- Add chiles, onion, garlic, vinegar, salt and cilantro; process until coarse-textured.
If the salsa is too thick, add 1 to 3 tablespoons water.
- Taste to adjust for seasoning and set aside.
- Scrambled Eggs: Over medium heat, mist a large nonstick skillet with cooking
- Beat eggs and water together just until whites and yolks are blended.
- Pour into hot skillet, allowing eggs to cook for a minute before stirring.
- Sprinkle pieces of queso fresco on top, along with optional potatoes or sausage,
and begin moving the eggs gently with a spatula.
- When eggs are just barely cooked, add 1 cup of salsa verde. Stir eggs and salsa
together to barely combine. Remove from heat.
- At this point, you can serve the eggs or begin filling breakfast enchiladas by
placing about 1/3 cup salsa and eggs down the middle of a tortilla.
- Continue filling tortillas.
- Place in a baking dish and spread about 2 tablespoons salsa verde over the tops.
- Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons of grated cheese.
- Place in a preheated 350 degree F oven for just 4 minutes or long enough to melt
the cheese but not cook the eggs further.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Serves 4; 2 cups salsa