New Mexico Posole
This is a traditional New Year's dish in the Southwest.
- 6 (28 ounce) cans hominy, drained
- 6 pounds very lean pork, cubed
- 1/4 cup red chili powder (coarse or regular grind)
- 6 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 teaspoons oregano, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
- 6 quarts water
- Heat a large pot. Add meat and brown over high heat, stirring frequently. Use
a little cooking spray if needed.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium.
Continue boiling slowly for 45 minutes to an hour.
Yield: 1 1/2 to 2 gallons (recipe may be reduced).