Walnuts and chocolate are swirled up in bread dough to create this slightly sweet Slovenian specialty.
- 12 Rhodes Yeast Dinner Rolls, thawed but still cold
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 ounces walnuts
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg yolk
- Spray counter lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine rolls and roll into a 24 x 15 inch rectangle. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and let rest while preparing the filling.
- Place sugar, walnuts, cocoa powder and vanilla extract in a blender or food processor. Pulse until mixture is combined and walnuts are broken up. Add in the milk, butter, and egg yolk and blend until a paste is formed.
- Remove wrap from dough. Evenly spread the filling on the dough. Starting with the 24-inch side, roll the dough tightly to form a rope. Fold the rope of dough in thirds and place in a sprayed bread pan. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes or until just under the lip of the bread pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil the last 15 minutes to prevent over-browning.
- Immediately remove from pan and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool before cutting and serving.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: