Roast Goose with Apple Stuffing
(Gansebraten mit Apfelfullung)
- 1 (8 to 10 pound) goose, giblets reserved
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 tart apples, chopped
- 2 stalks celery (with leaves), chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Trim excess fat from goose. Heat giblets, water, sliced onion and 1 1/4 teaspoons
salt to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until giblets are done, about 1 hour.
- Strain broth; cover and refrigerate.
- Chop giblets; toss with remaining ingredients except 1 teaspoon salt and the
- Rub cavity of goose with 1 teaspoon salt. Fold wings across back with tips touching.
Fill neck and body cavities of goose lightly with stuffing. Fasten neck skin of
goose to back with skewers. Fasten opening with skewers; lace with string. Tie drumsticks
to tail. Prick skin all over with fork Place goose, breast side up, on rack in shallow
- Roast uncovered at 350 degrees F until done, 3 to 3 1/2 hours, removing excess
fat from pan occasionally. Place a tent of aluminum foil loosely over goose during
last hour to prevent excessive browning. Goose is done when drumstick meat feels
- Place goose on heated platter. Let stand 15 minutes for easier carving.
- Pour off all but 1/4 cup drippings from pan. Stir in flour. Cook over low heat,
stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat. Add enough water
to reserved broth if necessary to measure 2 cups. Stir into flour mixture. Heat
to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Serve goose with apple stuffing and gravy.
Yields 6 to 8 servings.