- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small cabbage head, shredded
- 2 apples, grated
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Coarsely-ground black pepper, to taste
- Warm the bacon drippings in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté it briefly until it is limp.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover the saucepan, and cook 20 minutes, until the cabbage is tender.