English Crumpets are griddle cakes made from a flour and yeast batter.
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 package yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- Combine water, yeast and sugar. Let stand until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Heat milk, 1 tablespoon of the butter and salt in a saucepan over low heat just
until warm. Add to yeast mixture.
- Add 1 cup flour to yeast mixture and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes on
medium speed of mixer.
- Beat in egg.
- Add remaining flour and beat until smooth.
- Cover batter with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until
doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Stir down batter and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a saucepan over low heat. Skim off foam and
discard milky solids from bottom of saucepan.
- Brush bottom of a skillet with melted butter.
- Brush insides of four crumpet rings or 3-inch round cookie cutters with
butter and place rings in skillet.
- Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons batter into each ring. Cook until batter begins to bubble
on top and is lightly browned on bottom, about 2 minutes.
- Remove rings.
- Turn English Crumpets over. Cook until lightly browned on bottom and done in centers.
- Can be served warm or split and toasted before serving.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.