Serve Sukiyaki hot from the skillet, with separate bowls for hot cooked rice.
- 1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 pound beef tenderloin or boneless sirloin, 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 stalks celery, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 carrots, cut diagonally into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 bunch scallions, cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 4 cups packed spinach, stems removed
- Hot cooked rice
- Dissolve bouillon in hot water; stir in soy sauce and sugar. Reserve.
- Cut beef into 1/8-inch slices.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet until hot. Place half each of the celery, carrots, scallions, mushrooms and bamboo shoots in separate areas in skillet. Pour half the reserved soy sauce mixture into skillet. Simmer uncovered until vegetables are crisp-tender, turning vegetables gently, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Push vegetables to side of skillet; add half each of the beef and spinach. Cook beef to desired doneness, about 3 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining vegetables and beef.
Yield: 4 servings