Albondigas (Mexican Meatball Soup)
- 2 bunches scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 (28 ounce) can broken tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 dried mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 quart water
- 2 pounds very lean hamburger
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sauté onions in hot oil in a large soup pot until limp. Add chiles, tomatoes
and seasonings. Add water. Bring to a steady boil, then simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, wet your hands and combine hamburger, eggs, flour, salt,
pepper and the 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. Form into 1-inch balls. Do not brown.
Drop into soup one by one as you make them, keeping soup at a boil. When all are
added, turn heat to low and simmer. Taste to adjust seasoning. Cook for 45 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings
Some place hot cooked rice in the soup bowl before ladling soup into the bowl.