Almond Pancakes (Lahooh Bel Loaz)
- 1/2 teaspoon yeast
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups almonds, roasted and ground
- Dissolve one package of dry yeast in the 1/8 cup of water that is slightly cool
to the touch, about 85 degrees F. Add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to feed the yeast. Stir
to dissolve yeast and sugar. It will take about 10 minutes until the yeast begins
to bubble or foam. If it does not foam it is not alive and should not be used.
- Put the flour in a bowl; add the milk, eggs, baking powder and yeast mixture;
mix together to form a batter; set aside to rise.
- Grease a frying pan with a little oil; pour into the pan half a ladle of batter.
Spread the batter quickly into a thin pancake and fry over medium heat until the
top bubbles, then turn over and brown the other side. Repeat using all batter. Mix
the sugar, cardamom and almonds together. Stuff each pancake with the mixture; roll
into finger shapes, and arrange on a serving dish; sprinkle with some ground almonds.
Serves 10 to 12.
Source: Saudi Arabia Magazine (an official publication of the Information
Office of the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia), Winter 1997
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.