Kosheree (Egyptian Lentils)
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 fresh chile peppers
- 1 1/2 cups regular rice
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion
- Place lentils in a saucepan and cover with water by 1 inch. Turn heat to high,
bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, for 35 minutes or until tender. Drain and
transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add rice; turn down to simmer for 20 minutes.
Fluff up rice with a fork and add to lentils.
- Boil 2 quarts of water; add elbow macaroni and cook until tender. Add to lentils.
- In a small skillet add 1 tablespoon of oil and sauté finely chopped peppers for
2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of water and the vinegar. Bring to a boil
and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In another skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add onions and sauté until brown around
the edges. Garnish lentil mixture with the onions and pour the tomato sauce over
- Serve immediately.