Saganaki (Flaming Cheese)
Serve Saganaki with sesame crackers, wedges of pita bread, cocktail rye bread or assorted crackers.
- 1/2 pound Kasseri or Kefalotiri cheese*
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
* Mozzarella cheese can be substituted for these cheeses.
- Cut cheese into 3 wedges; place in shallow heatproof serving dish. Brush cheese with butter.
- Set oven to broil or 550 degrees F. Broil cheese with top 4 to 6 inches from heat until bubbly and light brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Heat brandy until warm; pour over cheese. Ignite immediately. Squeeze lemon over cheese. Cut wedges into halves.