- 1 (3 to 5 pound) oxtail
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium size onion, sliced
- Water from 1/4 cup achuete, soaked
- 1 banana heart, sliced crosswise
- 2 bundles Chinese long bean (sitaw), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/3 cup rice, toasted brown in a pan and ground to a powder
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- MSG (optional)
- Cut oxtail into 3-inch pieces. Boil once and discard water. Boil again until tender.
- Sauté garlic and onion in oil.
- Add achuete water, sautéed garlic and onions to meat and bring to a boil.
- Add vegetables and enough water to make a sauce.
- Add the powdered rice and peanut butter dissolved in 3/4 cup water into the meat.
- Season with salt, pepper and MSG.
- Serve with Bagoong Alamang on the side.