Greek Style Pocket Sandwiches
Great using fresh pork, but also tasty when leftover cooked pork is marinated, drained, re-heated and served.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil 45 mL
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard 15 mL
- 1/2 cup lemon juice 125 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano 5 mL
- 1 pound boneless pork loin, well trimmed and cut into strips 500 g
- 1 cup low fat yogurt 250 mL
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and chopped 250 mL
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill 2 mL
- 2 whole wheat pita breads, halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, combine canola oil, mustard, lemon juice, garlic and oregano. Pour over pork strips. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 8 hours.
- In another bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, second amount of garlic and dill; cover and refrigerate.
- Drain marinade from pork strips, removing as much marinade from meat as possible (use a strainer or colander).
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Place strips in a shallow pan in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove meat from pan with a slotted spoon and place in pita halves. Top each with a generous spoonful of yogurt mixture and some sliced red onion.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Analysis per Serving: Calories 320 Total Fat 10 g Saturated Fat 3 g Cholesterol 75 mg Carbohydrates 25 g Fiber 3 g Protein 30 g Sodium 290 mg
Recipe and photo used with permission from: CanolaInfo.org